Monday, September 17, 2007

A Road Trip

now not EVERYONE lives in boone, so we had to make a little roadtrip while i was home to see some very missed "eyeballs." mom and i were up and at'em and ready to leave for Irmo, SC to see Grandma Ward and Aunt Ann, so we called to say we should reach around 3 or 4 that afternoon. we just had to "run a few errands in town" before we left. that is always very dangerous. so after errands, lunch, Marble Slab:), we were on our way. okay, so we didn't reach by 4, BUT, we did begin our 4 hour journey at 4!
The next day, we met Grandma's sister, Aunt Macy, and her husband, Uncle Frank, at Lizard Thicket for lunch (too bad Auntie Ann couldn't come, but someone's got to be the breadwinner:)). We had some goooooood southern cookin'. I had fried catfish, black eyed peas, lima beans, and sliced tomatoes, with a couple cornbread muffins smothered in apple butter. Does it get any better?! Grandma was pretty excited about her fried okra. And mom was equally excited about "today's special": liver and onions. Gross. But whatever floats your boat.


















what a nice outing in Irmo. after being "filled to the rafters," we came home and lounged on the back porch. i sat on the swing beside Grandma and just enjoyed being there with her. that's who i am named after you know, Joyce Oliva Ward, more affectionally knows as, "Grandma Ward."



before i knew it, the time had come for us to get back on the road. so i got Grandma all situated in her chair, propped her legs up, made her a nice glass of sweet tea, and we posed for a picture before we left. Isn't Grandmas so cute in her little blue outfit? (I did her hair for our outing...well and some other things but you have to REALLY know her to notice:)).

so, on the road again and headed to Seascape Lane for dinner with the Scholle family of THREE. (some background: Hannah found out she was pregnant while i was in India, and then HAD Anna Preston while i was in Singapore, so this was my FIRST time actually SEEING AP's little eyeballs!!!!) when mom and i walked in, Hannah was sitting on the couch feeding Anna Preston Grace---what a precious sight. i just couldn't believe it. when i held her all i could think was, "Hannah, this is your BABY---you have a BABY---and she is BEAUTIFUL!!!"

it was so comforting to be back at Seascape Lane, eating dinner on an all too familiar table, surrounded by people you've shared so much with...laughs, tears, fears, prayers, birthday's, new jobs, more laughs, recipes, Bible verses, ups, downs, loss, blessings, but most of all, LOVE--just unconditional, no contingencies, arms wide open, doesn't matter how long you've been gone--love. Again, the Lord filled up my spirit, seeing Hannah, Max, Anna Preston, Preston, Glenda and sweet JesseRuth (and Gregory via phone:))





after a delicious slice of the famous "dew pound cake" and coffee (okay, so maybe we also got some laughs at the expense of Mrs. South Carolina on u-tube...again...and of course Max and I had to have our serious spiritual discussion and solve a few of the world's problems), mom and i were back on the road again, headed up the mountain.

all in all, i'd say it was a pretty good road trip:)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

sniff sniff. That is a very tender post. You are a jewel. I'm proud of you for getting you blog up to date!

Dolly said...

Good update Joy! I wish I could have seen your eyeballs while you were back in the good old USA! I bet it was surreal seeing Hannie with her little family! I'm sure she was so happy to have you back for a while. Isn't AnnaPreston so beautiful? She's going to be a knock out like her mommy!

Donna said...

Was this Dew cake the Mountain Dew Cake? Wow! That stuff really has become famous!!!!

I'm glad you had fun on all of your visits!

Suzanne said...

Wow Joy! I did not know you were completely in the blogging world! Last I checked, which must have been awhile back there was nothing here! I am adding you to my friends pronto!